Saturday, October 22, 2011

Monkey see monkey do

Whenever I was a kid, I loved the days that my momma would make monkey bread. There was just something about how sweet and yummy it was that made any day so much better. 

Once I got married, I thought that my husband deserved this experience as well. So, I called my mom to get the recipe. After days of waiting and listening to the hubby beg me to make the monkey bread, the day has arrived. I woke up before he did this morning and thought I would surprise him.  It just came out of the oven and now I just have to wait for the sleepy head to wake up. :)


Thanks to my mom (and probably my grandma or some wonderful ladies at the local Presbyterian church,) here's the recipe. 

Monkey Bread
4 cans refrigerator biscuits (just the plain old buttermilk kind, nothing flaky)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. (since cutting the biscuits takes so long, you could probably wait until about halfway through to actually turn the oven on) Mix 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon in a quart or larger size bag. Cut each biscuit into quarters, drop into cinnamon sugar and shake to coat. (Don't try to put all of the biscuits in the bag at one time. Trust me. You'll end up with one big lump of dough that does not make good monkey bread.) Then drop each piece into a greased bundt pan. Melt butter and 1/2 cup sugar on stove. Pour over the biscuits. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until brown. 
Once out of the oven, cool for just a few minutes and then flip out onto a plate or big cake carrier. 

Hope you enjoy! Have a great day!!!!!
-the wife

No comments:

Post a Comment